Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Chugging along

I had my shoulder surgery last week, and was to return to work today (desk work only).  After a rough night, and fear that I had screwed up my new hardware in my labrum, I stayed home another day.  I am so sore today.  This really hasn't been too challenging up until last night.  I had a bad dream and "startled" tensing all of my muscles.  This sent extreme pain through my shoulder until I reached for the narcotics and the ice machine after about 5 minutes of crying.  A phone call to my ortho ensured that as long as I was in a good position with my required sling and abduction pillow, it's a sure thing that I'm OK.  Doesn't feel like it though!
The immobilizer stays on 3 more weeks before I can start formal therapy, however, he is letting me do a little arm hanging exercise since I'm a therapist and can understand the forbidden motions.  Tell that to my unconscious self!

Went out in public for the first time last night for a political celebration party.  It's amazing how many people grab and touch your shoulder even when it's in a sling and you've just explained what happened.  I even got a thunk on the shoulder from a friend explaining his shoulder injury.  Really!?!  Think I need to put a big red X on it!
And my back.... still absolutely perfect and spectacular.  Even with awkward position of washing my hair in the kitchen sink.   This shoulder situation hasn't been nearly as difficult as my other surgery adventures, but I am really ready to switch the channel on this subject.                                 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Joell! Hang in there. With this stuff there's always that initial OK time period and then the rough patch shows up...only briefly though. Sweet dreams tonight...no bad dreams...back to a more normal routine in the morning with some work. You're not still eating macaroni and cheese are you? Treat yourself to something nice tomorrow. You deserve it!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete