Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 19, 2012

17 weeks post op

As expected, I received my email from Mr Boeree with little fanfare.  Here is his response:

Dear Joell

It was a delight to hear how well you are getting on.  I have had a look at your x-rays and the implant remains in a very good position and is clearly bonding well to the adjacent verterbra.  You are progressing very satisfactorily on to a good fusion at the lower level. 

The x-rays do show that at the time you had the x-rays taken you were leaning off to one side slightly.  This is often a postural adaptation and certainly is nothing to be concerned about.

With kind regards
Nick Boeree
The Spine Clinic

I'll have to disagree a bit with the leaning comment though.  I stand as straight as an arrow for xrays, and they turn out looking like I was tying my shoe at the time.  It's my scoliosis, not a postural adaptation.  The curve actually looks better than prior to surgery, so I wasn't concerned about it.

I feel absolutely normal and healthy and strong. 
While exercising yesterday, I even noticed that all of the hamstring tightness is gone.  I showed my husband when I got home, and he said, "Wow.  What a difference." 

My goal now is to tighten up my abs for strong core support of my Ferrari spine, to be able to do everything I love this spring and summer - and for the next 40 years. 

I'll check in periodically, but I don't think there will be a lot to report until spring break (leaving for Florida in 9 weeks, 1 day, 3 hours).  I foresee sitting on the beach (pain-free), playing volleyball (pain-free), walking/dancing/swimming (pain-free).  Can't wait to take it for a test-drive!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joey Sue,

    Glad to see that Dr. Boeree thinks you are healing great! What a great decision this is turning out for you. It's a tough decision to make when the American medical doctors are pushing fusion as the gold standard. Going overseas on your own dime makes it an even riskier proposition. Glad you are feeling so much better now. :) Did Dr. Boeree mention anything about having to take antibiotics before any other surgical/dental procedures due to having an implant and possible infections down the road?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Joell!! 'Little fanfare' is exactly what you want. I am envisioning a very active, pain-free spring break for you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin: I did specifically ask Mr Boeree about dental work, and he DOES recommend a dose of antibiotics an hour before dental procedures (didn't ask about other surgeries) FOR LIFE. I have a supply at home for the next few dental cleanings, given to me by my dentist when I told him the situation. Thanks for the interest in my process! Glad you are doing well too.

    Ellen: Smiles! :)

    ReplyDelete